Tuesday, May 8, 2012

BEHIND THE SCENES: Finishing the Portrait


The finished portrait -- "J J on the Ice" . . .

______________________________________________________________________________




Here is how I completed the painting that was started last week -- 

We left off when I was beginning to paint the medium values of the blues . . . 




I then restated the reds and worked on his face and the far background, also adding some very light reds to some of the shadows on his jersey . . . 





Next, some lines and glazes were added to the surface of the ice, and then I started on the fun part -- adding the darks . . . 




I made sure to keep the darkest darks and the lightest lights in the main figure, for the most contrast -- that's where I want the emphasis to be . . . 





Then, I felt like I needed to add a blue shadow to the bottom of the painting and a blue glaze to the top of the painting and a few other places on the ice surface . . . 




Almost finished -- just a few more enhancements to his face, warming it up some more.  And, my signature . . . 




Yesterday, I matted it, sent a photo of it to Scott for his approval (and got it!), and then shipped the painting -- it should arrive in plenty of time for Mother's Day.  Hopefully, JJ's mother will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment